Sunday, September 26, 2010

Baltimore Book

A Visual Journalism final. I might post up some of the other sketches I scanned from that class a long time ago... but this final was to take our sketches or take new sketches we had accumulated and craft a book with it. We could self-publish thru Lulu, xerox it, or do whatever we wanted to create a book representative of the sketches within or that presented them in a good way.

Sooo in high school I learned how to do a basic book binding, and I used that technique to put together a simple little cardboard book. The covers were brown and I painted and inked over them. It's about 5"wx8" tall.

Yeah... reeeally simple. I had decided about that time that I REALLY loved comics and I wanted to DO comics, so I made this final sort of sequentially-oriented. We didn't have to do anything like this, and it was a big baby overachieving lame leap, but I got super into this and tried to create a loose narrative atmosphere with my sketches.

The layouts aren't really crooked, it's just odd to scan in a book of this size...


I did pencil sketched layouts for the pages, sketched in new backgrounds and contexts, took some new observations, and then I went over it with some ink, white marker & tombo pens. There are 20 pages in total, but I'll have to scan the rest at a later date because scanning this little book is time-consuming and horrifically inconvenient.

'til a later date, duders

No comments:

Post a Comment